Costly furnace repair bills can be avoided by having a qualified HVAC technician regularly perform maintenance check ups on your heating unit. You depend upon your system to keep you warm throughout the winter months so you need to treat it well and keep it clean.
Did you know if you don't regularly have your home or business heating system checked you could stand the chance of it breaking down in the dead of winter? This happened to me, and believe me, it was an unforgettable experience. I had to learn the hard way just how to care for my heating system unit properly.
Ways to avoid costly furnace repair:
1. The most important thing you can do, and it hardly costs anything to do it, is to change your filter about every three months although it should be visually checked every month. This is vital to the cleanliness of your system as dirt and dust can build up quickly choking your unit. Summer and winter are the two heaviest usage months, so it's a good rule to get into the habit of checking it good during those months.
2. Just like you get your automobile tuned up, it's essential you have a skilled HVAC technician pay a visit to your basement or crawl space regularly. Each fall and spring are the best months to do this because they simply aren't as busy during those months as they are at other times of the year. Have them do a thorough maintenance in order to prevent system failure.
3. During the maintenance checkup, the technician will check your thermostat, the electrical components, and completely lubricate all moving parts. When all the parts aren't lubricated sufficiently, more electricity is required to run the system effectively. Plus, it just causes more wear and tear on your system which can also lead to failure.
4. He will also check out the drain where condensation ends up and unplug it if it is clogged with dirt. This process will help eliminate the buildup of bacteria and mold in your condensation pan.
5. All the control switches and valves will be thoroughly checked and reviewed like the on and off and timing switches. It goes without saying these crucial switches must work properly to keep your system from needing costly furnace repair.
6. The air filter is another critical part of your heating system. It must be cleaned or changed if necessary. Actually, this is something you can do yourself and that will help you avoid the additional charge to have an HVAC person come out to your house or business.
7. A carbon monoxide test should be done to see if there is any seeping through into your home's interior.
There are many other parts of your heating system unit that a qualified HVAC technician is trained to check and maintain in order to ensure your heating unit will work as well as it possibly can and stay working.
With these proper and regular maintenance tips, you should be able to avoid costly furnace repair work. Don't try to do the work yourself if you discover parts need to be replaced. That may lead to a dangerous situation and may end up being even more expensive. Hire a qualified furnace repair technician today.